The University of the Witwatersrand’s Wits School of Arts, South Africa is currently seeking applications for admissions and scholarships to the full-time Drama for Life (DFL) undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
DFL is a program aimed at enhancing the capacity of communities to take responsibility for the quality of their lives. DFL is one of Africa’s leading Integrated Arts Training, Practice and Research approach to health, socio-economic political and environmental transformation.
The full-time program offers Undergraduate Applied Drama Courses under Bachelor of Arts in Dramatic Art (BADA), Advanced Diploma, Honors, Masters, Post Graduate Diploma and PhD courses that build capacity in HIV and AIDS education through applied drama and theatre. The DFL approach is appropriate to current social realities and cognizant of the rich indigenous knowledge of Africa. The alumni come from 15 African countries successfully working as theatre practitioners, lecturers, social workers, project managers and life skills trainers. DFL has alumni and scholars from Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Namibia, Swaziland, Lesotho, Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia, Rwanda, South Africa, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Through Performing Arts, the program focuses on:
- Capacity Development in HIV and AIDS Education, Activism and Therapy
- Peace Building, Transformation and Diversity Management
- Human Rights and Social Justice
- Environmental Sustainability
What the program offers
- A study-program that enables you to realize social and community change using the methods of Applied Theatre and Drama
- A unique education package including courses like Theatre for Human Rights, Drama Therapy and Applied Drama and Theatre Studies
- The possibility to graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Dramatic Art, an Advanced Diploma, Honors, Postgrad Diploma, Masters or PhD-degree at the Drama for Life program at Wits School of Arts
- Four year Bachelor’s Degree in Dramatic Art or related fields
- Experience in Performing, Theatre making, Arts Managing, Arts Educating, Arts Therapies, Drama Facilitating
- Experience in working in Capacity Development, HIV/AIDS, Civic Society or Health Education
Last date for submission of applications for scholarships is November 30, 2011
For more information, visit this link. http://www.dramaforlife.co.za/images/uploads/Call_for_Applications_2012_final.pdf