The Arab Human Rights Fund (AHRF) is a not-for-profit organization working for the promotion and protection of all human rights in the Arab region. According to AHRD, ‘all human rights’ are the human rights that have been listed in the International Bill of Rights and all international instruments working for human rights and humanitarian law. AHRF works to support the human rights defenders in the Arab region by offering them financial and technical assistance.
AHRF is seeking letters of grant proposals/ letters of inquiry from organizations or groups interested in promoting human rights in the Arab region. Strong applicants will be invited to submit a full application. Letters of inquiry can be submitted in Arabic, English or French. It is not necessary to apply for a specific funding stream. Fund staff will determine the type of grant that applies to your request: Ongoing Human Rights, Countries in Transition, Emergent Opportunities.
Who Receive Funding from AHRF
- Non-governmental human rights organizations, networks, and coalitions (registered and unregistered).
- Well-established organizations with a demonstrated record of good work, and new and informal groups that show potential to carry out important initiatives.
- Organizations carrying out human rights work in enforced exile.
- Human rights programs in and initiatives by local development and other NGOs, and educational institutions.
- The Fund makes grants to projects in the Arabic-speaking region and Arabic-speaking communities in adjacent countries. The Fund defines the “Arab region” as the 22 members of the Arab League.
- Rights and Constituencies
- Countries in Transition
What the Fund Does not Support
The Fund’s grants policy excludes the following from eligibility:
- Individuals (except for “emergent opportunities”)
- Purchase of real estate or construction of buildings
- Partisan politics
- Religious activities (understood as promoting or negating religion; projects looking at religious conception of human rights are not excluded)
- International organizations directly (can fund local partner organization)
- For-profit activities or enterprises, unless related to organizational sustainability.
Letters of Inquiry are accepted throughout the year.
For more information and details, visit this link.