amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, has announced new funding for innovative projects that focus on innovative combination interventions that increase access to HIV prevention and ARV/STI treatment for gay men, other men who have sex with men, and transgender individuals (GMT) in the Caribbean. Grassroots organizations led by or closely linked to men who have sex with men (MSM) or lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities in low- and middle-income countries in the Caribbean are encouraged to submit relevant proposals. Funds for this round of awards are made available through the generous support of the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
Each organization may apply for an award of up to $17,500 USD to support project-related costs for up to 12 months. Only one application may be submitted per organization. Proposals for general operating support will not be considered.
Approximately 100,000 USD is available in the Caribbean; amfAR anticipates funding from five to six proposals. Funding recommendations will be announced in February 2013. Organizations that are approved for awards can expect to receive funds to begin activities as early as April 2013.
Regional priorities have been determined in advance of issuing the RFP by surveying a wide range of community-based colleagues with experience and expertise in the region. Based on the survey, only proposals that address the following types of programming will be considered:
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
- Community-based organizations located in low-and middle-income countries in the Caribbean (click here to see list of eligible countries);
- Non-profit organizations (e.g., NGOs, CBOs, and other charitable organizations) that are the equivalent of U.S. tax-exempt non-profit organizations;
- Organizations comprised of MSM or LGBT community members and/or that have established links to MSM/LGBT communities and experience directly involving members of those communities in the development and implementation of programs and activities;
- Organizations with strong management and leadership;
- Organizations with capacity to carry out the proposed activities and effectively manage award funds.
Deadline: December 17, 2012
For more information, visit this link.