Mama Cash has announced the Red Umbrella Fund – a global grantmaking collaborative launched this year to support movements and organisations fighting for sex workers’ health, human and labour rights and self-determination.
The Fund will provide opportunities and grants for sex worker-led organisations to strengthen their capacities, such as organisational development and management, programme development and implementation, resource mobilisation, advocacy and communication skills, and monitoring and evaluation.
The Red Umbrella Fund will provide grants to support four types of activities to sex worker-led organizations and initiatives (including to organizations that are registered or not registered in their country:
- Start up funds for informal groups to become legal entities;
- Multi-year, core funding ;
- Funds to support peer-led capacity building and exchanges;
- Emergency grants with capacity for immediate response.
It will also provide opportunities and grants for sex worker-led organizations to strengthen the capacity of grantee organizations stressing peer-to-peer mentoring in such areas as (but not limited to):
- Organizational development and management;
- Program development and implementation;
- Resource mobilization;
- Registration assistance;
- Advocacy and communications skills;
- Information dissemination;
- Monitoring and evaluation skills.
The Red Umbrella Fund has the specific mission to catalyse and raise new funding for sex-worker-led organisations and networks. The first-year grantmaking budget of the RUF is $700,000. The Red Umbrella Fund will provide start-up funding, multi-year and core funding, support for peer-led capacity-building and exchanges, and emergency grants to sex worker led organisations. Grant amounts will be between $5,000 and $50,000.
The deadline to submit proposals is 15 September 2012. For more information, visit this link.