With ever increasing demand for talented professionals, countries across the world are investing in education to raise their pool of highly skilled human capital.
Malaysian government sponsored Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS) has been setup to offer scholarships to students from across the world for studying advanced level courses in the country. Main purpose of this scholarship program is to attract the best brains from around the world and later motivate them to stay back and work in the country.
There are two types of scholarships viz. Postgraduate and Post-doctoral Studies under this program offered to international students (below 45 years of age) with excellent academic records and outstanding co-curricular backgrounds. The selected students can pursue their studies in any selected reputed public and private Malaysian universities.
AREAS OF STUDY
Areas of studies that are given priority for these scholarships include Science and Engineering, Agriculture and Fisheries, Economics and Islamic Finance, Information and Communication Technology, Biotechnology, Biosecurity and Food Safety, Infrastructure and Utility, Environmental Studies, and Health including but not limited to, nursing, medicine, clinical pharmacy.
- To be eligible for Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS), applicants must fit the following criteria:-
- Not be more than 45 years of age during application.
- Obtained a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Masters Degree applicants and for PhD candidates must possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or very good result at Masters degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study. In addition, for post-doctoral programme, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non refereed journals, portfolio and patent copyright. The Post-Doctoral candidate must have excellent reputation in research and possesses knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
- Took one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two years before the date of application. The list of tests and minimum scores required:
- i) IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6.5; or
- ii) TOEFL paper-based test with a score of at least 580 or computer-based test with a score of at least 230 or internet-based test with a score at least 92.
- In excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants
- Wrote a proposal that is relevant to the needs and interests of Malaysia (research-based programme only)
- Has applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or has a confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with the universities in Malaysia).
VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Each scholarship consists of:-
- Air tickets from recipient’s capital city to Malaysia
- An approved tuition fees
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Annual grant for books and internal travel
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Installation and Termination grant
- Thesis allowance (will be paid at the beginning of research (after proposal defense) and the balance will be paid only upon submission of the thesis) – For PhD and Post-Doctoral only
- A conference travel grant and journal publication grant (PhD and Post-Doctoral only)
The candidates have to fill the application form online starting April 2011, and accordingly the eligible ones will be instructed. For application procedure, selection criteria, and other details, please visit the link.