Established in the year 1361, University of Pavia in Lombardy, Italy is one of the oldest universities in Europe. The university has a history of promoting international cooperation by offering scholarships in various degree courses to students from developing and low-income countries under its Fund for Knowledge and Cooperation (FC&K) program.
During the academic year 2011-12, University of Pavia is offering 51 scholarships amounting to 1,000 Euro per month to students coming from the developing countries. However preference will be given to the scholars from the countries classified as low-income economies or Lower-middle-income economies by the World Bank. Under this scholarship program, the students have the option to study at the University of Pavia or at the Institute for Advanced Study of Pavia (IUSS).
Expenses against visa fee and travel will also be borne by the university. Though, the students who have already received scholarship under the FC&K program during the academic year 2011-12 can also apply for the scholarship during the year 2011-12, but they are not eligible for getting visa fees and travel expenses.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The scholarships to successful candidates will be awarded as per the following norms:
1. Successful candidates will have to confirm their acceptance of the scholarship and of its conditions within the within the time limit set in the letter communicating the awarding of the scholarship. If a candidate fails to confirm his/her acceptance, the scholarship will be awarded to the following candidate in rank;
2. Once received the declaration of acceptance of the scholarship, the University of Pavia will:
- send a prepaid travel ticket to Italy and provide for the travel expenses back to the developing country. Visa requirements will be care of the candidate, and will be reimbursed upon presentation of appropriate receipts;
- provide the candidate with the scholarship according to the final decision of the Commission: monthly installments of 1.000 Euros each (the number of installments assigned to each successful candidate will be decided by the Commission);
- arrange an accommodation in one of the University Residences of Pavia (lodging expenses will have to be paid by the candidate; if the candidate does not accept the proposed lodging, s/he will have to find another one by him/herself);
- provide a card for meals at University canteens (the candidate will get the student discount for the meals, which will be at his/her expense);
- guarantee all the facilities required during the period of residence – libraries, computer facilities, etc., including all the services of the Faculty which the student is associated with;
- help the candidate to settle through the services offered for free by the Welcome Point of the University of Pavia, which will provide also the information about applying for a student residence permit.
3. Insurances will be direct care of the selected candidates. In particular, health insurance might be bought by the candidate before leaving the country of origin, being this usually mandatory while applying for the Visa.