The WASH Media Awards recognize as well as support the significant role of media in creating awareness on importance of water, sanitation as well as hygiene services. These awards aims to foster coverage of WASH issues in the local, national as well as international media to have a positive influence on decision-makers, the private sector, the civil society as well as individuals and households.
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) and the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) invite entries for the fourth edition of the WASH Media Awards. This competition is open to journalists who publish or broadcast original investigative stories and reports on water supply, sanitation or hygiene (WASH) related issues and their impact on individual and country development.
To be eligible, entries must be published or broadcast between 1 April 2011 and 1 April 2012.
Journalists may submit one piece of work in the following formats:
•Print & online (traditional print media such as newspapers, magazines and journals; articles that appeared in electronic versions of print media sources – online editions of newspapers, magazines or journals – or in recognized reputable media sources)
•TV (including documentaries)
•Cartoons & photos (that appeared in traditional print media such as newspapers, magazines or journals; articles that appeared in electronic versions of print media sources – online editions of newspapers, magazines or journals – or in recognized reputable media sources)
Six prizes will be awarded:
- One for the best entry in print & online format
- One for the best entry in TV format
- One for the best entry in radio format
- One for the best entry in cartoons & photos format
- One for the best entry for the theme ‘economics of sanitation’ focusing on investing in sanitation, the cost of inadequate sanitation (financial, social, environmental etc.), sanitation marketing, sanitation entrepreneurship and any other related issues
- One for the best entry from a journalist based in a high-income country or a field reporter working for an international media outlet
First five prizes will be awarded to journalists from developing as well as middle income countries. For prize number 6, journalists from high-income countries or working for an international media outlet are invited to send entries in the same formats and languages. All the entries will be evaluated by an international jury of distinguished media professionals. The six winners will receive a cash prize and participate in the World Water Week in Stockholm in August 2012 as special guests of WSSCC and SIWI.
All entries must be received no later than 1st April 2012 together with a duly filled in entry form.
For further information, visit the link.