The European Commission (EC) has issued a restricted call seeking concept notes at first stage for projects that aim to strengthen non state actors (NSA) and local authorities (LA) in Namibia to achieve a more open and democratic society. Projects with potential to address the issue of social exclusion and marginalisation in Namibia by way of promoting social cohesion and dialogue are welcome under this call. This program also aims to strengthen the capacity of NSA and LA to deliver services to most disadvantaged groups of the population.
Global Objective of this Call for Proposals
To strengthen civil society and local authorities in Namibia in order to achieve a more equitable, open and democratic society
Specific Objectives of this Call for Proposals
- to address the issue of social exclusion and marginalisation in Namibia by way of promoting social cohesion and dialogue;
- to enhance and strengthen the capacity of Non-State Actors to support and represent vulnerable groups, such as those affected by human rights violations, discrimination and/or exclusion;
- to promote communities’ participation in decision making processes at local, regional and central level, with a particular focus on underrepresented groups and minorities;
- to strengthen the capacity of NSA and LA to deliver services to the citizens and in particular the most disadvantaged groups of the population.
Whenever possible, particular attention should be paid to cross-cutting issues such as the promotion of gender equality, disability, the protection and promotion of children’s rights, respect for the rule of law and fight against HIV/AIDS.
All actions proposed must demonstrate a determination to co-ordinate with other actors in order to avoid duplication of activities and to enhance impact through exploring links and synergies with other initiatives. Applicants are also required to specify how co-ordination with government authorities will take place.
The overall indicative amount made available under this Call for Proposals is EUR 2.000.000 for Lot 1 (NSA) and EUR 250.000 for Lot 2 (LA). The Contracting Authority reserves the right not to award all available funds. These amounts are subject to the adoption of the NSA and LA Annual Action Plan 2012 by the budgetary Authority.
Actions must take place in Namibia. Actions may be implemented in any part of the country, without geographical constraints.
Types of Activity
All activities that are deemed necessary for the achievement of the expected results of the actions can be included in the proposals. Such activities can include (non exhaustive list of examples):
– Assistance to vulnerable/excluded communities in accessing social assistance
– Advocacy on and monitoring of public policy and its implementation, especially as it relates to vulnerable groups
– Awareness raising and policy research to better inform positions on public policy
– Promoting ownership of public policy making processes by community/grassroots groups
– Capacity building, institutional and technical support
– Civic education of vulnerable/excluded groups
This is a restricted Call for Proposals. In the first instance, only Concept Notes must be submitted for evaluation. Thereafter, applicants whose Concept Notes have been pre-selected will be invited to submit a Full Application Form. Further to the evaluation of the Full Applications, an eligibility check will be performed for those which are provisionally selected.
Last date for submitting the concept notes is March 1, 2012.
For more information, visit this link.