Global Power Shift is an event which will bring together hundreds of climate leaders from around to world to begin a new phase in the international climate movement. It will be held from June 10-17, 2013 in Istanbul, Turkey. You can apply to attend this event.
The event is part of the Phase 1 activity where over 500 young grassroots activists and leaders will gather to meet, train, share skills and stories, and prepare for the next phase of the global climate movement. In the Phase 2, these young leaders will fan out across the world to catalyze powerful national movements calling for bold climate action. Through a series of national summits and trainings, they will unleash a new wave of climate activism.
Global Power Shift (GPS) will be a multi-pronged project to scale up the movement and establish a new course, like never before. The basic plan is this:
- “In June of 2013, 500 of us will gather in Turkey — from leaders to engaged community members
- We’ll train in grassroots and digital organizing, share our stories, and chart a strategy for the coming year
- Attendees will then return to their home countries in teams to organize mobilizations
- These national or regional events will be launchpads for new, highly-coordinated campaigns targeting political and corporate levers of power
- Together, we will truly shift the power and spark the kind of visionary transformation we need to fight the climate crisis”
The criteria to apply for this event is that you should have the commitment to the climate movement; willingness and perseverance to organize powershifts and/or other climate action, and the ability to demonstrate the capacity to follow through with these commitments. Each candidate will be selected based on their previous work for the climate movement and/or their future plans for it, as well as candidate’s experience in online and offline campaigning, communication, fundraising, mobilizing, networking, and movement building. As National Power Shifts play a big part in our long-term strategy, willingness and capacity to organize national and/or regional events back in your country is also a massive plus!
The organizers will do our utmost to cover the travel costs of participants who cannot afford it themselves.
The application deadline is December 16, 2012. For more information, visit this link.