Deadline: 17 January 2016
Reach Out to Asia (ROTA) is seeking applications for its 8th Annual Youth Conference EMPOWER 2016 that will be held from 17th-19th March, 2016 to promote leadership, service learning and global citizenship. The proposed theme is “Innovation in Youth Social Entrepreneurship”.
EMPOWER2016, a three day event includes a combination of seminar panels, discussion, keynote speeches, and small group workshops, seminars, off site activities, exhibition and youth artistic performances.
Since 2009, EMPOWER has developed a reputation for being the first youth led conference to focus on equipping young people in Qatar to take active roles in building their communities and having a voice on global issues. Every year the conference intends to create a platform for a larger number of students to learn and engage in ROTA’s youth development program in Qatar.
After the success of previous EMPOWERs, ROTA opened the conference to the Region and youth from international countries. The conference addresses a variety of issues related Sustainable Development and will focus this year on Innovation in Youth Social Entrepreneurship.
The main motive of the 3 days conference is to raise awareness and knowledge as well as build the capacities required to enable young people to take leadership roles in addressing local and international developmental issues of concern to them especially in the area Peaceful Societies, as the theme for this year’s EMPOWER conference.
- Promote better understanding of youth leadership, service learning and greater awareness of global issues among 400 youth between the ages of 17-30 in Qatar and the region.
- Provide opportunities for 450 youth to develop their skills, knowledge and attitudes to take on leadership roles which support ROTA strategies.
- Create a platform for 450 youth to discover their voice and realise their ability to make a positive contribution in society to support Qatar 2030 on youth development.
- Facilitate a forum for exchange of ideas, projects and reflections that address local needs and global issues.
- Awareness creation on the EMPOWER theme.
- Personal leadership: Promoting personal excellence including setting goals and forward planning, having personal mission statements, marketing one’s skills and abilities, positive attitude and healthy self-esteem.
- Service Learning: Promoting civic responsibility: a duty to one’s country, community and the world as a whole. The importance of valuing diversity; developing empathy alongside desire to help the vulnerable or to protect one heritage or the environment.
- Global Citizenship: Promoting youth voice on social justice issues like human rights, migrant worker situation, global economy, climate change and war and conflict.
EMPOWER conference seeks to attract up to 450 delegates from the following categories:
- 17-30 year old youths –primary target
- Secondary School Teachers
- Local Youth Groups/organizations
- Youth Activist from GCC and Arab Region
- University Student Affairs Officers
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit ROTA’s EMPOWER 2016.