Deadline: 31 May 2015
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) is currently accepting abstracts from scholars and practitioners for its Governance Research Program while participating in International Conference on Public Health Governance in Africa to be held in Windhoek, Namibia on November 19-20, 2015.
Through its conference on the theme ‘Public health governance in Africa’, CODESRIA wishes to seize on opportunities for debate presented by the ongoing EVD epidemic to rekindle wider conversations about public health governance in Africa. While acknowledging the biological dimension of diseases and the systems that are (supposed to be) put in place to deal with them at a societal level, this conference will deliberately seek to insert conversations about these in broader discussions concerning economics, politics, culture and spirituality.
CODESRIA invites abstracts on the following themes from scholars and practitioners that are interested in participating in this conference:
- Global inequalities and public health delivery in African countries
- Histories of governance and public health systems in Africa
- African state evolution, structural adjustment programs and public health provision in Africa
- Public health governance and broader social policy regimes in Africa
- The social and cultural meaning of illness and good health
- The performance and representation of illness, good health, care and empathy
- The ethics, politics and economics of caregiving and biomedical research
- Epidemic control, popular culture and the arts
- Patents (property rights) and human rights in regimes of care
- Identity politics, integration efforts and processes of bothering in the face of public health challenges
- The gendered dimensions of epidemics, epidemic control and public health governance in Africa.
Applicants can be scholars and practitioners around the world and their abstracts must be based on the above 11 themes.
How to Apply
Those interested in participating must send their abstracts and CVs with full contact details including email addresses and phone numbers to CODESRIA via email with the subject line ‘Governance Research Program’.
Authors of abstracts selected should be ready to submit full papers by 31st August 2015.
More information about this Foundation is available in the PDF version. If you are a FundsforNGOs Premium Member, you can instantly download this PDF version. Not a Premium Member? Click here to Sign up! Not interested? Continue reading…