Deadline: 18 January 2016
Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG) is inviting for original desk and/or field based research in any area of geography. Preference will be given to early career researchers.
RGS-IBG is the UK’s learned society and professional body for geography, founded in 1830. It is a world leader in advancing geography and supporting its practitioners in the UK and across the world. As the learned society and professional body for geography, RGS-IBS work champions and advances the discipline with many different audiences, both nationally and internationally, enhancing a shared understanding of their inter-dependent world.
Three RGS-IBG Small Grants
- Small Research Grants: Several awards of up to £3,000 for original desk and / or field-based research. Aimed at scholarly researchers early in their career, these awards are available to Society members and Fellows.
- Jasmin Leila Award: An award of £250 will be given as a supplement to one of the supported Small Research Grant projects, or to an independent project, with one or more of the following research themes:
- Medical and health geography
- Performance (especially any aspects of music, theatre, fashion and dance) and their geographies
- Transnational communities.
- 20th International Geographical Congress Fund: This fund was established following the 20th International Geographical Congress held in London in 1964. Each year one grant of up to £3,000 will be made available. Preference will be given to projects by individuals that advance geographical research and will lead to publications.
- Applicants wishing to be considered for a Small Research Grant must be a Fellow or member of the society. For the 20th IGC and stand alone Jasmin Leila Award this does not apply
- Applicants are expected to hold a PhD at the time of application
- Applicants must be affiliated with a UK Higher Education Institution
- Preference is given to early career researchers (within 6 years of applicants completing their PhD) Grants are available to individuals only, and only one application is accepted per individual per annum Preference will be given to those who have not received this support before
- Re-application for the same project is not permitted
- Awards cannot be made retrospectively
- Postgraduate research, conferences and conference attendance and replacement wages will not be funded
- For the 20th International Geographical Congress Fund, equipment grants cannot be made
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit their applications via mail at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit Royal Geographical Society Small Research Grants.