Deadline- 26 May 2014
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has announced The Indigenous Fellowship Programme (IFP) which focuses to give indigenous peoples the opportunity to gain knowledge on the UN system and mechanisms dealing with human rights in general and indigenous issues in particular so they can assist their organizations and communities in protecting and promoting the rights of their people.
Candidates will have the opportunity to receive training/briefing sessions with other UN and specialized agencies (ILO, WIPO, UNESCO, UNDP, UNITAR) and with other international organizations and Geneva based Human Rights NGOs. Fellows attending the English speaking component of the programme are entitled to the following: a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva; modest accommodation in Geneva for the duration of the Programme; basic health insurance for the duration of the Programme; a monthly grant to cover other living expenses in Geneva.
- The candidate must be indigenous (non-indigenous persons will not be taken into consideration, even if they have close links with indigenous communities and/or organizations).
- Age should not be a limitation to participation in the programme.
- Formal education should not be a limitation to participation in the IFP given the socio-economic barriers confronted by many indigenous peoples that limit access to formal educational institutions.
- Candidates should agree to train other indigenous persons after the return to their respective communities/organizations.
- The candidate should be proposed and his/her candidacy supported by his/her indigenous organization and/or community. It is desirable that the sponsoring organization has a firm constituency or membership and that it is representative.
- The candidate should have a good working knowledge of the language, in which the programme is imparted.
For more information, visit Indigenous Fellowship Programme page.
Discover great international donors for your cause with FundsforNGOs Premium. It includes a constantly updated donor database, an NGO library stacked full of guides and sample proposals from leading organisations. Learn how FundsforNGOs Premium can support you to create a better world today.