The United States Government, as represented by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Southern Africa seeks to expand its bilateral programming in basic education in South Africa. This Annual Program Statement (APS) invites applications from local organizations using innovative and tested approaches for building the capacity of school-based educators. The program will henceforth be identified as the School Capacity & Innovation Program (SCIP).
The overall purpose of the School Capacity & Innovation Program (SCIP) is to improve learning outcomes by building teacher effectiveness and strengthening classroom and school management. SCIP intends to invest in innovative, local interventions that will positively impact learning outcomes, as measured by improvements in primary grade reading. USAID does not have a single, prescribed approach, but recognizes that effectiveness can be enhanced in a variety of ways including improvements in content knowledge, instructional practice, management capacity and/or morale.
There is a two-stage application process consisting of the submission of an initial concept paper and then, upon invitation by USAID, the submission of a full application. This APS invites local organizations in South Africa to submit concept papers for innovative and tested activities that have demonstrated promising initial results in improving learner outcomes by building teacher effectiveness and strengthening classroom and school management. Through this APS, USAID may fund the expansion, refinement and evaluation of these innovations so that they may be implemented on a broad scale.
Successful applicants under this APS will observe the following elements:
– Demonstrate knowledge of and experience working in the education or other relevant sector;
– Present activities that are technically feasible;
– Address the development needs of South Africa in ways that are aligned with national policies and strategies;
– Offer promise of significant development impact, as measured, for example, by the number of direct and indirect beneficiaries of the program, and/or by the potential for replication or scaling-up over time; and
– Demonstrate successful performance in the past.
Size of the Funding
The award size may range from $300,000 to $1,500,000. The actual number of awards made under this APS is subject to the availability of funds.
Deadline for submission of concept notes is July 29, 2011
For further details and information, please visit this link and search the Funding Opportunity Number 674-11-00045.