Deadline: 1 June 2015
The United Nations Department of economic and Social Affairs (UN-DESA) is calling non-governmental organizations for (ECOSOC) Economic and Social Council consultative status in order to have an opportunity to take part in UN deliberations.
NGOs that are accredited with ECOSOC can participate in a number of events, including, but not limited to regular sessions of ECOSOC, its functional commissions and its other subsidiary bodies. NGOs may:
- Attend official meetings;
- Submit written statements prior to sessions;
- Make oral statements;
- Meet official government delegations and other NGO representatives;
- Organize and attend parallel events that take place during the session;
- Participate in debates, interactive dialogues, panel discussions and informal meetings.
The DESA NGO Branch is the focal point within the UN Secretariat for non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and for NGOs seeking status. It Aim is to support NGOs and provide technical assistance.
- Consultative relationships may be established with international, regional, sub regional and national non-governmental, non-profit public or voluntary organizations.
- To be eligible for consultative status, an NGO must have been in existence (officially registered with the appropriate government authorities as an NGO/non-profit) for at least two years, must have an established headquarters, a democratically adopted constitution, authority to speak for its members, a representative structure, appropriate mechanisms of accountability and democratic and transparent decision-making processes.
How to Apply for Consultative Status?
- Profile registration – Organization must have a registered profile before starting the application for consultative status.
- Online application: Questionnaire + Summary + Supporting Documents – Organization has to submit the application, containing the online questionnaire and summary, and the supporting documents.
For more information, visit ECOSOC.