Deadline: 13 July 2015
The European Union is currently accepting proposals from eligible organizations for its European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR) programme to be held in South Sudan. The programme is designed to contribute to the development and consolidation of democracy and the rule of law and respect of all human rights and fundamental freedoms in third countries worldwide.
The instrument aims to promote and support democracy and human rights worldwide and intends to contribute to the developmentand consolidation of democracy, the rule of law, and respect for all human rights and fundamental freedoms within the framework of the EU’s policy on development cooperation with third countries, consistently withthe EU’s foreign policy as a whole.
The objectives of the program are:
- to assist the people of South Sudan in achieving a functioning and sustainable democracy built on the rule of law and the respect of human rights.
- to strengthen South Sudanese civil society, human rights defenders and other human rights actors, enabling them to actively promote and protect human rights in a conflict-sensitive way.
Actions must target one of the following sectors or themes:
- Women’s rights
- Children’s rights, including children in armed conflict;
- Rights of persons with disabilities;
- Eradication of torture and other cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment;
- Freedom of expression and press freedom.
Size of Grants
Any grant under this call for proposal must fall between EUR 100,000 and EUR 400,000.
Actions must take place in South Sudan.
The initial planned duration of an action may not be lower than 12 months nor exceed 24 months.
- In order to be eligible for a grant, the applicant must:
- be a legal person and
- be non-profit-making and
be a Civil Society Organization(CSO). Non-governmental non-profit organization; community-based organizations and private-sector non-profit agencies, institutions and organizations and networks thereof at local, national, regional and international level; or public-sector non-profit-agencies, institutions and organizations and networks at local,national, regional and international level; and
- have demonstrated capacity and experience of at least two years to manage activities of a scale
- corresponding to the size and in the sector of the grant requested and
- be directly responsible for the preparation and management of the action with the co-applicant(s) and
- affiliated entities, not acting as an intermediary.
- The Co-applicants will participate in designing and implementing the action and the eligibility criteria for them is same as that is for the applicants.
- The applicant and its co-applicant(s) may act with affiliated entity (iess) having a structural link with the applicants. Eligible entities may thus include-
- Entities directly or indirectly controlled by the beneficiary (daughter companies or first-tier subsidiaries). They may also be entities controlled by an entity controlled by the beneficiary (granddaughter companies or second-tier subsidiaries) and the same applies to further tiers of control;
- Entities directly or indirectly controlling the beneficiary (parent companies).
- Entities under the same direct or indirect control as the beneficiary (sister companies).
- Entities legally defined as a e.g. network, federation, association in which the proposed affiliated entities also participate or the beneficiary participates in the same entity (e.g. network, federation, association) as the proposed affiliated entities.
How to Apply
- The application process consists of two phases-
- Phase 1, concept note
- Phase 2, full proposal
- Only Concept Notes must be submitted for evaluation. Thereafter, applicants who have been pre-selected will be invited to submit a Full Application Form.
- Prior registration in EuropeAid’s on-line database, PADOR, is obligatory for applicants, co-applicants and affiliated entities.
- Applicants must be registered before submitting the concept note, while co-applicants and affiliated entities must be registered prior to submission of the full application, if applicable.
For more information, please visit EU-South Sudan Program and download the guidelines.