The Commonwealth Fund is a private foundation that aims to promote a high performing health care system that achieves better access, improved quality, and greater efficiency, particularly for society’s most vulnerable, including low-income people, the uninsured, minority Americans, young children, and elderly adults.
The Fund carries out this mandate by supporting independent research on health care issues and making grants to improve health care practice and policy.
Here are three open health fellowships by Commonwealth Fund.
The Harkness Fellowships in Health Care Policy and Practice
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Deadline: 16 November 2015
The Commonwealth Fund’s Harkness Fellowships in Health Care Policy and Practice provide a unique opportunity for mid-career health services researchers and practitioners from 9 Countries to spend up to 12 months in United Statesconducting original research and working with leading U.S. health policy experts.
Harkness Fellowships are designed for mid-career professionals who are committed to advancing health policy and practice in The Commonwealth Fund’s principal areas of interest:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- improving health insurance coverage and access to care;
- improving the quality and efficiency of health care services
Awards and Benefits
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Each Harkness Fellowship awards up to U.S. $130,000 (beginning 2016-17), which covers:
- Roundtrip airfare to the United States;
- A fixed monthly stipend for U.S. living expenses;
- Set up and shipping allowances;
- Support toward the portion of the project conducted in the home country, if appropriate;
- Funds for project-related travel, case studies, conferences and research expenses;
- Travel funds to attend seminars including: Harkness Fellows Orientation, Commonwealth Fund International Symposium on Health Care Policy; Washington Health Policy Briefing; Final Reporting Seminar; and AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting;
- Institutional allowance for U.S. mentor/placement;
- Health insurance coverage while in the United States;
- U.S. and state taxes.
All applicants must:
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
- Be citizens of countries mentioned above. Applicants who are not citizens of the country in which they are applying must have permanent residency and have lived in that country for at least the last three years. Such applicants must also be committed to pursuing careers in the country from which they are selected.
- Show significant promise as a policy-oriented health services researcher or practitioner (clinician, health services manager, government official, or journalist);
- Have a demonstrated expertise in health policy issues and a track record of informing health policy through research, policy analysis, health services, or clinical leadership;
- Have a master’s degree or doctorate (or the equivalent thereof) in health care services, health policy research, or a related discipline, such as economics or political science (consideration may be given to candidates with a bachelor’s degree only, depending on work experience); and
- If academically based, be at a mid-career level (e.g., research fellow to senior lecturer).
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online by registering first at the the fellowship website.
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
Note: The deadline for applications from Australia and New Zealand was September 8, 2015.
For more information, please visit Harkness Fellowships.