As conflicts increase and threaten the foundations of peace and democracy, NGOs in many countries find it challenging to identify grants that can help them address this issue. Communities in developing countries need to be engaged, their awareness has to be enhanced and their participation in policy decisions should be ensured. NGOs play a prominent role in achieving these goals and sustainable funding is important for continued work.
We have developed a list of 20 such grantmaking foundations that provide funding for NGOs to promote peace and democracy.
UN Democracy Funds Strengthening Civil Society Organisations
The United Nations Democracy Fund invites civil society organizations to apply for funding for projects to advance and support democracy during the annual proposal window. UNDEF projects are two years long. Applicants can request a grant of a minimum of 100,000 US dollars and a maximum of 300,000 US dollars.
UNDEF supports projects that strengthen the voice of civil society, promote human rights, and encourage the participation of all groups in democratic processes. The large majority of UNDEF funds go to local civil society organizations — both in the transition and consolidation phases of democratization.
Proposals are subject to a highly rigorous and competitive selection process, with fewer than two per cent chosen for funding.
Areas of Interest
Projects fall under one or more of seven main areas:
- Community Activism
- Rule of Law and Human Rights
- Tools for Knowledge
- Women’s Empowerment
- Youth Engagement
- Media and Freedom of Information
- Strengthening Interaction with Government
The following institutions are eligible for UNDEF grant funding:
- Civil Society Organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations, engaged in promoting democracy.
- Independent and Constitutional Bodies, including Election Commissions, Ombudsman Institutions, National Human Rights Institutions and other independent governance bodies, for project proposals facilitating the inclusion of the voice of civil society.
- Global and Regional inter-government bodies, organizations and associations other than the United Nations, for project proposals which strengthen the voice of civil society.
How to apply
Only on-line proposals in either English or French, will be accepted. The online proposal template can be accessed at the UNDEF website.