The Global Fund for Women is an organization that provides funding to women-led organizations and women groups worldwide for advancement of women and girls’ human rights. The organization provides funding to non-US organizations. The Global Fund for Women supports strengthening women-led groups. The amount of funding varies from $5,000 to $30,000 per year for project expenses. First-time donation is limited to $5,000 to $13,000 per year.
The types of project that may be supported through The Global Fund for Women may fall into the following broad thematic areas:
- Building Peace & Ending Gender-Based Violence
- Advancing Health and Sexual & Reproductive Rights
- Expanding Civic & Political Participation
- Ensuring Economic & Environmental Justice
- Increasing Access to Education
- Fostering Social Change Philanthropy
This list is not exhaustive. Applicant can also propose other activities but have to strongly demonstrate that their actions significantly promote human rights of women and girls.
Criteria for Applying for the Global Fund for Women Grants
In order to get funding from the Global Fund you must meet all of the following basic eligibility criteria
- Based in a country outside USA
- Primarily focused on promoting women’s equality and human rights. These goals must be clearly reflected in your organizational activities.
- Must be a women’s group or organization. Global Fund for Women does not fund individuals.
- It is governed, directed, and led by women. Women must fill all or most of the leadership roles.
- It is not necessary to be registered as an NGO to get funding.
Every year Global Fund for Women receives a huge number of proposals, but can only provide support to 20% organizations. Priority is given to small women-led organizations with no access to larger donor fund, located in a region or country with limited access to funding, working on controversial women’s issues which are difficult to recognize their human rights (sexual and reproductive health rights, LGBTI rights etc.), working with marginalized population (sex workers, lesbian etc.) etc.
In exceptional case, the Global Fund for Women supports mixed gender organizations when they serve marginalized women focused projects such as women with disability, women within LGBTQI organization.