Deadline: 13 January 2015
The Africa NCD (non-communicable diseases) Open Lab of the Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK) invites scientific research projects that have the potential to further the understanding and generate new knowledge on the unique disease mechanisms, pathophysiology and aetiology of NCDs in African patients. NCD Open lab focuses on translational research that will integrate basic laboratory-based research, clinical research, and population-based research.
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Chronic Respiratory Disease
Country-specific research proposals addressing locally relevant health needs will be funded. Grant request can be made for costs for resource, materials, publications, equipment and general labor cost associated with the proposed research.
Up to £4 million pounds will be available to fund research proposals under this call. The GSK scientists will collaborate with the researchers throughout the duration of the grant. They will be available to discuss aspects of the project and share ideas based on their experience in the area of research.
- Applicants must be working in Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, The Gambia, and Uganda. The principal investigator must be working in an institution in one of these countries but can collaborate with other sub-Saharan countries.
- South-south collaborations among sub-Saharan African nations are highly encouraged.
- Applications must be completed in English.
- Research proposals must be in the priority NCD areas.
- Proposals can address disease mechanisms, pathophysiology and aetiology, or prevention and treatment of primary disease and associated complications of the priority NCD areas.
- Proposals that contain, by design, a capacity-building component, which identifies where additional training from GSK or academia is required to conduct the research are accepted.
- Applicants must confirm that they have all required permissions from third parties (including the research institution where the proposed research may be carried out in the event of a successful application) in order to submit the information provided in support of the application.
- Create a user account through the application portal.
- Complete online application form, attach the principal investigator’s resume/curriculum vitae, proposal, budget details using the templates provided.
For more information, please visit NCD Open Lab Call for Proposal.