For some reason, the word fundraising strategy often strikes fear in to many a fundraiser. Could it be that in a world of ever stricter targets and more competition that distilling all those different targets into one document is just plain intimidating? Whatever the reason, it is time to throw the fear out of the window and instead realise the value of a quality grant fundraising strategy.
Despite popular wisdom, a good grant fundraising strategy does not need to be forty pages long, takes weeks to create and include every different possible permeatation. Instead, it should be just a few pages of summary information that can act as a convenient guide and roadmap for your grant fundraising over the coming year.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
Most non-profit organisations rely on numerous different types of funding from multiple sources. Effective planning and tracking of all income is crucial but especially so when it comes to grants as there are hard deadlines you will need to meet to be successful. If you can effecti vely plan ahead of time what you will need to do, what resources you need and who else will be involved you will be able to strategically manage the grant application far more effectively.
Non-profit organisations, just like any other business need to centrally plan their income and expenditure forecasts for the coming year and beyond. Your fundraising strategy will tie in with the organisation’s overall budget as well as its business plan which may expand on different or modified income streams in years to come as your organisation develops.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
Any grant fundraising strategy worth its salt will include:
- What kind and how much funding is required?
- Where will the funds come from?
- What activities will be undertaken?
- What resources will be required?
We have broken these sections down to produce a checklist of all the essential items you need to include in your strategy:
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
What kind and how much funding is required?
- What projects do we expect to operate?
- How much do they cost?
- Are there any existing funds to support the project?
- How much funding do we require for each project?
- Are all of the projects essential or can some be prioritised?
- What happens when the funding ends?
Where will the funds come from?
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- Which funders could support our work?
- Might any of our projects appeal to any funders in particular?
- Do we know anyone or have any past experience with the grantmaker?
- Do we have a list of contingency organisations we can approach for funding?
What activities will be undertaken?
- What information do we need to gather for the application?
- Which staff or volunteers will be involved in the process?
- What are the key funding deadlines?
- When would we receive the funding if successful?
- How can we improve our profile with the funder pre-application?
What resources will be required?
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
- How will we track all income and expenditure?
- Who will be responsible for financial management and reporting?
- How will we monitor and evaluate the success of our projects?
- Who will be the contact point for funding organisations?
- How can we reduce costs?
- Can we include volunteers to save on staff time?
What key information do you include in your grant fundraising checklist? Let us know in the comments section.
(Ad) Lots of grant opportunities but no idea how to write a proposal to apply for them? We have a huge collection of sample proposals available only for Premium Members. You can view these proposals and even request for download. Get ideas from other successful grantees and write your proposal quickly. Learn more.
- FundsforNGOs collection of the best non-profit Associations
- NGO Management: Using Consultants in your Organisation
- Fundraising Essentials: Grant Exit Strategies
- Fundraising Essentials: Outcome Funding
- Fundraising Essentials: How to thank donors
- NGO Management: How to assemble a Board of Trustees
- Grant Proposals: What to do if your proposal is rejected