Deadline: 30 June 2016
Nominations are open for Human Rights Awards that will be given to individuals, groups, organisations and agencies that have an outstanding track record in the advancement of human rights in Malaysia.
The awards were established in 2011 by the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia and the introduction of the Awards is part of the Commission’s effort to promote human rights and to honor the contributions made by extraordinary individuals, groups, organisations and agencies.
- To recognize outstanding individuals, groups, organisations and agencies for their significant contributions towards human rights in the country;
- To promote greater understanding and support among the civil societies on the work of these human rights defenders;
- To promote active involvement among the various communities and societal actors in the promotion and protection of human rights in the country.
- Individual: Awards are presented to an individual who has demonstrated significant achievements in serving the cause of human rights in the community on a pro-bono basis.
- Organisation/Group: Award is presented to a registered non-profit organisation and a non-registered advocacy group that has demonstrated significant achievements in serving the cause of human rights in the community on a pro-bono basis.
- Media: Awards are presented to three individuals and/or agencies from the Malaysian print, online and broadcast media that have published or produced a significant human rights reporting/documentary/programme.
- Government Agencies: Award is presented to a Malaysian government agency or statutory body that has demonstrated human rights best practices in their implementation of policies and regulations, programmes and services.
- Business Entity: Award is presented to a business entity that has demonstrated human rights best practices in its delivery of services and conduct of business activities.
- Individual: The recipient will receive RM2, 000.00 + a plaque + a certificate
- Community Organization/Group: The recipient will receive RM2, 000.00 + a plaque + a certificate
- Media: The recipient will receive RM2, 000.00 + a plaque + a certificate
- Government Agencies: The recipient will receive RM2, 000.00 + a plaque + a certificate
- Business Entity: The recipient will receive RM2, 000.00 + a plaque + a certificate
- Advocating the rights of the vulnerable groups including Indigenous Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, women, children, refugees and asylum seekers;
- Undertaking continued effort to raising human rights awareness among various stakeholders particularly the grassroots community;
- Promoting equality and removing discrimination or infringement of human rights;
- Providing continued support and assistance to victims of human rights abuses;
- Encouraging greater harmony among people of different races or ethnic origins, religions, sex, age, or other differences within Malaysia;
- Implementing human rights-based approach in the conduct of business activities or in the work of state actors through appropriate reforms that reflect greater public accountability, transparency, accessibility and participation.
Please visit next page for information regarding selection criteria and eligibility criteria.