Deadline: 8 May 2016
The Senior Finance and Budget Officer will have the overall supervision of the Director for Operations and immediate supervision of the Chief, Resources Management.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Finance and Budget Officer will perform the following functions-
- Budgetary management: Carry out strategic financial planning and management of UNEP financial resources in accordance with UNEP and UN financial rules.
- Coordinate submission of biennial Programme of Work (PoW) budget and Regular Budget to the UNEP Governing Council and General Assembly.
- Ensure legislative mandates are accurately translated into programme budgets; plans and co-ordinates review of budget submissions.
- Review, analyses and finalizes cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from; ensures compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
- Manage/issue allotments, authorizes sub-allotments and redeployment of funds, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
- Monitor expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
- Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plan, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Oversee the review and finalization of budget performance reports; monitors variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Prepare/finalize reports for intergovernmental bodies and for management on budgetary issues, and correspondence, guidelines and instructions.
- Act as Certifying Officer under Financial Rules to ensure that proposed obligations and expenditures are in accordance with budgets and established regulations and rules.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), CIMA or equivalent is highly desirable.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Working knowledge of another UN language is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNEP.