Deadline: 12 October 2015
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Director will perform the following functions-
- Ensure that the DREA’s organizational structure, operational policies and other work processes are sound to effectively deliver on the strategic objectives of DREA.
- Exercise authority over personnel and human-resource matters and further strengthen performance management by tracking key performance indicators across the Department;
- Maintain a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Initiate and manage the development of policies, strategies and programmes that contribute to the goals of DREA consistent with AUC vision and mandates.
- Support and provide guidance for the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programmes to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Decisions.
- Provide overall supervision, guidance, support and management of the human, financial and material resources of the DREA.
- Oversee and coordinate the work of the divisions of Agriculture and Food Security, Rural Economy and Environment, Climate Change, Water and Land Management, and the specialised technical offices under DREA and promote synergy within the departmental activities and initiatives.
- Maintain liaison with other departments of the AUC as well as RECs, NPCA, and other relevant stakeholders to identify and promote synergies across initiatives and to ensure a coordinated development and implementation of such initiatives.
- Maintain and build strategic partnerships to harness technical and financial resources necessary for effective implementation of policies, strategies and programmes.
- Initiate and strengthen forums for stakeholders’ consultations, lesson and experiences sharing as well as capacity strengthening.
- Prepare periodic reports on the implementation of DREA’s programmes and operations.
- Assist the Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture in preparing statements, proposals, briefs, reports and other relevant tasks.
Applicants must have-
- A minimum of Master’s Degree, a PhD in an added advantage, in agricultural field with specialized post-graduate training in agricultural and rural development and management of environment and natural resources, or related fields.
- Further qualifications in projects/programme planning, monitoring and evaluation will be an added advantage. Also necessary are qualifications in human resources management.
- At least fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible relevant experience at the national, regional and international level, of which at least four (4) years should be in comparable or higher level management position.
- Demonstrated evidence of managerial abilities of development programmes and human resources within large national, regional or international organizations is required.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (English, Arabic, French and Portuguese) is mandatory. Knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
- Excellent strategic management skills, including planning, coordination and organizing skills, with pro-activeness and multi-tasking.
- Excellent policy analysis and development and programme/project management, implementation and monitoring.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize, support and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills (statements, position papers, reports, briefs and correspondence) including by modern technology.
- Commitment to personal performance and self-development.
- Leading and managing change with integrity, trustworthiness and confidence.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted through online process.
For more information, please visit AU.