Deadline: 17 January 2016
The Senior Specialist will be responsible for providing technical advisory services in the field of employment policy and labour market analysis, including technical inputs to national development plans, poverty reduction strategy papers and other policy and operational plans, and coordinating technical inputs required for integrated and coherent employment policies.
ILO is devoted to promoting social justice and internationally recognized human and labour rights, pursuing its founding mission that labour peace is essential to prosperity.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide high-level contributions to the work of the office, lead research projects, technical missions and contribute to regional management meetings that concern the development of regional and sub-regional programme initiatives and major reporting assignments.
- Conduct policy advisory missions and capacity building initiatives with the tripartite constituents, along with relevant ministries such as planning and finance and other stakeholders, for bringing employment at the centre of economic and social policies and supporting the design and implementation of comprehensive employment policy frameworks, in line with the ILC 2014 Resolution concerning the second recurrent discussion on employment.
- Coordinate and contribute to sub-regional work and research related to employment matters.
- Analyze and review national development frameworks, poverty reduction strategies, comprehensive employment frameworks and institutional settings from the perspective of promoting inclusive job-rich growth and provide high level advice for the formulation, revision and implementation of comprehensive employment frameworks.
- Gather and analyze labour market information to inform policies on the effectiveness of employment related interventions.
- Provide technical assistance to countries in the sub-region to collect, process, analyze and make available gender and age disaggregated statistical data to measure decent work; and guide the preparation of reports based on the statistical data of the key labour and social trends in South Asia; Contribute towards the Employment related global reports, including the biannual Key Indicators of Labour Markets.
- In close coordination and cooperation with key counterparts, design and conduct research and technical and policy analysis of strategic labour and social issues in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and regional integration in the South Asian region.
- Provide high-value-added technical support at the analytical, policy and statistical levels for decent work country programming.
- Provide high-level substantive inputs for, and participate in, regional policy debates that will raise the visibility of the ILO in the region.
- Provide technical supervision to Chief Technical Advisors and senior consultants and oversee the execution of a wide range of employment related technical cooperation projects.
- Provide technical inputs to a regional knowledge and information base on outcomes, lessons learned and good practices from technical cooperation activities related to employment and promote knowledge sharing among countries and sub-regions, as well as through UN system knowledge sharing platforms.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree in economics and/or development economics, with demonstrated expertise in employment policy and/or labour market analysis. Some quantitative specialization is an advantage.
- Ten to fifteen years’ experience, of which at least seven years at the international level, in labour market analysis and social and employment policy development.
- Previous experience in middle income and developing countries is an advantage.
- Excellent command of English.
- Knowledge of another working language of the Office (French, Spanish) would be an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit ILO.