Deadline: 11 October 2015
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Technical Specialist on Labour Inspection, Occupational Safety and Health based in Algiers, Algeria.
The Technical Specialist on Labour Inspection, Occupational Safety and Health will be responsible for activities related to labour inspection and occupational safety and health (OSH) in the countries covered by the CO-Algiers and the Decent Work Team for North Africa and Country Office based in Cairo (DWT/CO-Cairo) (Egypt, Eritrea, Sudan and South Sudan).
ILO is devoted to promoting social justice and internationally recognized human and labour rights, pursuing its founding mission that labour peace is essential to prosperity.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Technical Specialist on Labour Inspection, Occupational Safety and Health will perform the following functions-
- Undertake technical advisory missions in the countries of the sub region and provide governments and employers’ and workers’ organizations with advice on the formulation, development and implementation of LI/OSH policies, systems and programmes and on the application of the principles set out in the relevant ILO Conventions and Recommendations and the Global Strategy on Labour Inspection/Occupational Safety and Health.
- Advise national authorities on the drafting and revision, dissemination and enforcement of laws and regulations pertaining to LI/OSH.
- Work to increase constituents’ technical and organizational capacities, and gather, process,
- Promote and support dialogue among key OSH stakeholders, including OSH and labour inspection services, employers’ and workers’ organizations, accident and disease prevention organizations, social security institutions, associations of OSH professionals and technicians, technical colleges and universities, among others).
- Provide technical assistance in the design and implementation of OSH-related training and information campaigns, projects and activities targeting high-risk sectors and the most vulnerable groups of workers.
- Contribute to the development and preparation of technical materials (such as training modules) to meet priority needs in support of constituents and technical cooperation projects.
- Participate actively in the work of the Global Technical Team of GOVERNANCE and the regional LABADMIN/OSH team to ensure that the advice, assistance and technical materials provided and used by the Office are coordinated and coherent.
- Carry out any other activities assigned by the Director covered by the mandate and objectives of the Organization and the relevant countries.
- Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree in engineering, medicine, health sciences or related disciplines, management, labour inspection or labour law.
- An advanced university degree (MSc, DESS, PhD) in occupational safety and health, labour inspection would be an advantage.
- Eight years of experience at the national level or five years at the international level in dealing with LI/OSH issues, with particular emphasis on the development of policy, national systems, action programmes and advisory services.
- Practical experience in the use of advanced techniques for the management of labour inspectors and the prevention of occupational accidents and diseases in industrialized and developing countries would be an advantage.
- Excellent command of French and English. Knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.
- Other skills-
- High degree of ability to synthesize research and reach empirically based conclusions on related subjects.
- Ability to provide seasoned advice on best practices and to address broader issues outside the field of specialization.
- Ability to conduct training sessions and prepare training materials, formulates project proposals, monitor and evaluate technical cooperation projects and activities, and mobilize funding.
- Ability to design and synthesize strategies for programme development in member States and present them at high-level meetings.
- Proven communication skills, both written and verbal.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted through online process.
For more information, please visit ILO.