Deadline: 18 April 2016
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Environmental Specialist in Bamako, Mali.
The Senior Environmental Specialist will support the Africa region in the preparation and implementation of lending operations and ASAs in coordination with governments, donors and other stakeholders particularly in the areas of environmental management, pollution and safeguards.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Environmental Specialist will perform the following functions-
- During project preparation:
- Identify which of the Bank’s safeguards policies will be triggered and which instruments are best suited to comply with these policies.
- Assist the borrower/project implementing agency in preparing these instruments, review them for quality and present them to sector management and/or the Africa Regional Safeguards Secretariat for approval.
- Contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation.
- During project implementation:
- Supervise compliance with the Bank’s safeguards policies by building effective working relationships with the borrower/project implementing agency to ensure proper understanding of the policies.
- Help the borrower/implementing agency apply the safeguards policies effectively through their participation to training and other capacity building initiatives.
- Environmental projects development, implementation and support:
- Get involved, for select countries to be agreed upon with management, in country team discussions (Systematic Country Diagnostics, Country Partnership Frameworks, etc.) and provide contributions as needed.
- Support engagement in select countries (principally countries within the purview of GEN07) around environmental issues with focus on environmental management, forestry, pollution coastal zone management and contribute towards translating these dialogues into proposals for IDA and or GEF/Trust Fund financing.
- Contribute at the corporate level to knowledge sharing particularly in the area of safeguards implementation and share experience through participation to workshops, brown-bag lunches, thematic groups meetings, etc.
Applicants must have-
- PhD or Master’s degree or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant discipline, e.g. environmental science, environmental engineering, environmental economics, biology, etc.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in the environmental sector, including proven experience in assessing environmental impacts of large infrastructure projects and pollution related projects.
- Good knowledge of environmental legislation and institutions in African countries.
- Experience with the application of the World Bank’s environmental safeguards policies.
- Familiarity with social safeguards issues (particularly field experience with involuntary resettlement) will also be an advantage.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams based in multiple locations on diverse and complex tasks.
- Ability to think innovatively and negotiate effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French.
- Willingness to travel within the whole Africa region, as well as internationally as necessary.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.