Deadline: 7 July 2015
United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Programme Officer. The position will be based in Bonn, Germany.
The UNCCD has adopted a multi-stakeholder approach for maximum effectiveness in combating land degradation and desertification. Results-based planning and targeted implementation supported by productive partnerships, effective resource mobilization and alignment of fundraising efforts lead to successful action to address desertification, land degradation and drought.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Officer will perform the following functions-
- Conceptualize and develop an action plan for UNCCD’s niche on drought, including the implications of drought risk for achieving land degradation neutrality;
- Develop a draft funding proposal for the second phase of the “Capacity Development to Support National Drought Management Policies” initiative that involves or is at least harmonized with the work of UNCCD and the Integrated Drought Management Programme (IDMP);
- Ensure that all “Capacity Development to Support National Drought Management Policies” (NDMP) web materials are correctly presented in the IDMP website and work with the IDMP Technical Support Unit (TSU) to update the IDMP Drought Management library;
- Manage the overall work on the IDMP Drought Case Studies Publication including researching and summarizing at least three (3) drought case studies from various countries that exemplify an integrated approach to drought management. In addition, supporting the finalization of case studies from the IDMP regional programmes according to the IDMP case study guidelines;
- To assist World Meteorological Organization and UNCCD in preparing drought events (i.e. side events, high-level session) at the upcoming UNCCD COP-21 in October;
- Conduct an empirical study on the causes of drought and the implications for food insecurity in drought-prone countries.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in ecology, environmental management, international development, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in related project or programme management, administration, evaluation and/or policy development in the area of desertification, land degradation and drought is required.
- Work experience with the UNCCD Secretariat or relevant partner agencies is desirable.
- Knowledge of relevant UN policies, activities and programmes is desirable.
- Experience in an advisory function to senior management is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required (both oral and written). Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted through online process, indicating the vacancy announcement number.
For more information, please visit UNCCD.