“The eligible themes concern biodiversity protection and the fight against climate change, along with the improvement of local populations living standards.
1) Biodiversity is the main area of intervention of the PPI
- Priority will be given to the following themes:
- Ecosystems and habitats protection and restoration ; Rare or endangered endemic species protection, inside or outside protected areas ;
- Rare resources sustainable management and valorisation with an easy-to-check impact on the protection of biodiversity, in particular local and national resources governance, marketing channels, non-timber forest production, ecotourism, game reserves, firewood, valorisation of peripheral zones of protected areas, etc…
- Activities improving the population rights concerning management of natural resources are eligible ;
- Ecological and fair trade certification in favour of biodiversity ;
- Management and control on fisheries, based or not on traditional rules, implemented by groups of fishermen in areas they can control.
2) Fight against climate change
The eligible themes are the following:
- The “Clean Development Mechanism” applied to small projects and innovative devices for Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD) aiming at improving the small organisations access to carbon credit. Local populations must financially profit by this process.
- Empowerment and the structuration of small and medium-sized companies working on the electrification of isolated areas using alternative methods (biogas, valorisation of farm wastes waste) ;
- Valorisation of wastes from energy production or the sale of carbon credits ;
- Natural forest regeneration without tree planting could also be supported in some case ;
- Training/empowerment of NGOs and local populations on climate change issues in the framework of projects funded by other donors.”