The African Water Facility (AWF) is accepting proposals from government, non-government organizations and institutions for the grant program on water resources development activities in Africa. The major aim of the grant program is to mobilize resources to finance water resources development activities in Africa.
The AWF provides financing in integrated water resources management in Africa. Projects focus on water law and policy, capacity building, public-private partnerships, and other interventions. The fund prioritize projects focused on the Preparation of climate resilient water resources development programs and projects that show strong climate and water adaptation and/or mitigation emphasis. Components focused on improving water governance in the context of climate change and on capturing and disseminating climate and water information and knowledge will be also considered.
- Preparation of a Water Resources Development (WRD) Plan and Investment Program
- Preparation of Priority Investment Projects
Grants range from €50 thousand to €5 million.
- Water resources infrastructure
- Water for agriculture
- Water for energy
- Water supply and sanitation
- Water for environment
- Applicants must be from one of the regional member countries of the African Development Bank, political subdivisions or agencies working within these countries; or regional agencies or institutions concerned with water resources development in Africa.
- Applicants can be national or local governments; municipalities; public utilities; regional, sub-regional or sectorial organizations (Regional Economic Organizations, River Basin Organizations, etc.
- NGOs and academic institutions are eligible if there is partnerships arrangements with the types of eligible governmental bodies described above. The partnering organizations should commit to exploit complementarities with the applicant and provide valuable expertise based on their climate and water sector experience. Partnerships may also enable a broader climate sensitive water-energy-land focus in the water resources development and investment planning studies.
- Applicants must submit the letters of endorsement for any partner with the proposal.
- The proposed project should be in between EUR 50,000 and EUR 5,000,000.
How to Apply
There is no deadline for the proposal submission. The AWF team of experts assesses the received funding requests throughout the year and transmits its evaluation and decision in due course.
For more information, please visit Grants for water projects in Africa page.