Deadline: 16 May 2016
The Media Legal Defence Initiative (MLDI) is seeking applications from lawyers based in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi to participate in a forthcoming litigation surgery on the right to freedom of expression that will held in Kampala, Uganda from 8 – 11 August 2016.
All applicants are required to submit for discussion and workshopping a current or potential case involving a violation of the right to freedom of expression.
- To identify and provide substantive support to cases on the right to freedom of expression that could be pursued before domestic and/or international fora;
- To assist and build working relationships with lawyers undertaking such cases;
- To equip the participants with the necessary skills and knowledge regarding the international human rights mechanisms available for pursuing freedom of expression cases in East Africa.
- Defamation (criminal)
- Restriction of the media by means of regulatory measures
- Physical safety of journalists
- Protection of sources
- National security
- The surgery is open to lawyers from Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi;
- The lawyers can either be working in private practice, or be working for or be affiliated with NGOs promoting the right to freedom of expression in East Africa through litigation;
- Exceptionally strong applications from lawyers who have not yet undertaken freedom of expression work, but have experience litigating other human rights cases and have a strong interest in undertaking freedom of expression work will be considered as well. A maximum of 12 participants will be selected;
- The lawyers must have a demonstrated interest in, and/or knowledge of the right to freedom of expression and/or related issues;
- The lawyers must have a demonstrated interest in, and/or knowledge of international and regional human rights law;
- The lawyers must be involved in, or considering, litigating a case or cases that address violations of the right to freedom of expression. With their application, they must submit a case study of a case that they are litigating or intend to litigate that could be discussed and workshopped during the litigation surgery;
- The cases submitted must involve a violation of the fundamental right to freedom of expression as protected in a national constitution, African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the East African Community Treaty or any other relevant domestic/international human rights instrument;
- The working language for the surgery will be English.
How to Apply
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit East Africa Freedom of Expression Litigation Surgery.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.