The Charles Steward Mott Foundation, through its Environment Program aims to support the efforts of an engaged citizenry working to create accountable and responsive institutions, sound public policies and appropriate models of development that protect communities and the diversity and integrity of ecosystems in North America and around the world.
Mott Foundation’s grant making seeks to improve the social and environmental accountability of those investing in large-scale infrastructure and energy projects in developing countries. This work includes a focus on the investment patterns of emerging economies, particularly of Brazil and China, whose financial institutions are becoming major lenders for developing countries.
Mott Foundation’s mission is to support efforts that promote a just, equitable and sustainable society.
Grant size can range up to $100,000. The majority of grants are between $15,000 and $250,000 annually
- Nurturing strong, self-reliant individuals with expanded capacity for accomplishment.
- Learning how people can live together to create a sense of community, whether at the neighborhood level or as a global society.
- Building strong communities through collaboration to provide a basis for positive change.
- Encouraging responsible citizen participation to help foster social cohesion.
- Promoting the social, economic and political empowerment of all individuals and communities to preserve fundamental democratic principles and rights.
- Developing leadership to build upon the needs and values of people and to inspire the aspirations and potential of others.
- Respecting the diversity of life to maintain a sustainable human and physical environment
- Addressing the Freshwater Challenge: Grants focus on securing sustainable levels of clean water for people and the environment, particularly in the Great Lakes region.
- Transforming Development Finance: Foundation support efforts to shape international investment in ways that support sustainable development and reduce environmental degradation.
- Advancing Climate Change Solutions: Foundation seek to advance the adoption of clean energy technologies at the community level in the United States and internationally.
- Special Initiatives: Grants in this area allow foundation to respond to one-time opportunities to advance environmental protection in the United States and internationally.
- Program primarily funds organizations in the Great Lakes region.
- It also makes grants to selected organizations internationally that ensure international investment and trade, support sustainable development and reduce environmental degradation.
- Non-U.S. applicants are urged to submit a Letter of Inquiry and not to prepare a full, formal proposal exclusively for Mott unless advised by the Foundation staff.
- All letters and proposals must be in English and must be submitted by a charitable, educational or governmental organization
How to Apply
Interested applicants can send their letters of enquiry electronically at the address mentioned on the website.
For more information, please visit Mott Foundation.