Deadline: 3 May 2016
The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and National Research Foundation (NRF) invite Collaborative Research between the UK and South Africa, offering additional value to existing programmes of education research, and contribute to the economic development and welfare of South Africa and Africa more broadly.
Proposals addressing the following themes are invited:
- Organisation of higher education systems, higher education institutions (HEIs) and alternative providers
- Equity in higher education access and participation
- Curriculum, pedagogy and modes and levels of provision
- Higher education for the public good
- Higher education and the labour market
- The ESRC has allocated up to £2.5 million and NRF has allocated RAND 10 million;
- Proposals are invited for joint UK and South African projects; each proposal may request £415,000 – £630,000 at 100 per cent fEC from the ESRC and R1.67m to R2.5m from NRF over 30 months in duration.
- UK applicants must meet the ESRC eligibility.
- Full-time employees at an NRF-recognised research institution in South Africa, who are eligible to apply according to the general NRF regulations and conditions, are invited to apply.
- Part-time employees on contract at an NRF-recognised research institution (as defined above) in South Africa are invited to apply, but on condition that their appointment at the South African institution is for (at least) the duration of the project applied for in the submission. The length of the contract should be stated in the proposal form. Salaries must be paid by the research institution, and the primary employment of the individual concerned must be at that institution. A contract researcher appointed at a research institution on behalf of a third party to fulfill a very specific function for the latter does not qualify for support.
- Retired academics/researchers are invited to apply, provided that they meet all set criteria as stipulated below:
- Are resident in South Africa
- Are formally affiliated to a South African higher education institution (eg appointed as an emeritus professor, honorary research associate/professor, supernumerary/contract employee).
How to Apply
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must submit identical proposals via respective websites.
For more information, please visit ESRC-NRF.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.