Call for Applications are invited by 5th CSBR Sexuality Institute 2012. This Institute offers a holistic comprehensive curriculum on sexuality, sexual and reproductive health and rights with an in-depth discussion on the linkages between research and practice. Moreover, this interdisciplinary program combines history, theory, research and politics of sexuality with applications of advocacy and fieldwork.
The CSBR Sexuality Institute brings together important sexual and reproductive rights activists, academics and researchers. Held previously in Turkey (2009), Indonesia (2010) and Malaysia (2008-2011), with participants from 23 countries throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East, the institutes include lectures, group work, round-tables, panels, site visits and film screenings, as well as a methodology to engage participants’ own experiences around sexuality.
Incorporated in the year 2001, the Coalition for Sexual and Bodily Rights in Muslim Societies (CSBR) is an international solidarity network of organizations, and academic institutions working to promote sexual and reproductive health and rights as human rights in Muslim Societies. CSBR includes institutional members from Algeria, Bangladesh, Lebanon, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Malaysia, Morocco, Pakistan, Palestine, the Philippines, the Sudan, Tunisia, Turkey, and Yemen.
The realization of sexual and reproductive health and rights is an integral part of gender equality, development and social justice. However, sexuality continues to be a contested site of political struggles both in Muslim societies and across the globe. Increasing global militarism, conservatism, and nationalism over the last decades provoked a serious backlash on sexual and reproductive health and rights, both at national and global levels. Given the current polarizations, it is more pertinent than ever to strengthen critical insight, further research, enhance knowledge and capacity on sexual and reproductive health and rights, and build an inclusive and affirmative discourse on sexuality.
The major objectives of the CSBR Sexuality Institute are as follows:
- To further knowledge on the multi-dimensional and intersecting aspects of sexuality, health and rights;
- To develop a deeper theoretical understanding of sexuality through a historical overview and analysis of current debates and research at the global level;
- To provide a comprehensive and holistic understanding of sexuality in Muslim societies through a discussion of the history, legal frameworks, research, and current discourses;
- To enhance participants’ sexual and reproductive health and rights advocacy skills on national and international levels;
- To increase participants’ capacity as leading advocates, practitioners and researchers on sexuality issues at national, regional and international levels.
The Institute will be limited to 20-22 participants, as it is designed as intensive six-day participatory group training. Applications will be reviewed by the CSBR Training Committee.
Travel and accommodation costs for participants from the South will be covered by the Institute. All participants from the North are required to pay for full tuition and travel costs.
Deadline for applications: May 20, 2012
For further information, visit the link.