Deadline: 5 September 2014
The full-time employed researchers at a University or research institution are invited to apply for the Postdoctoral Fellowships- Standard and Short-term and the head of a University or research institution are invited to apply for the pathway to University positions in Japan. The fellowship program is carried out by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). This is a fellowship program for overseas researchers that includes the candidates from Taiwan and Palestine (for Standard) and North America, Canada and Europe (for Short-term).
List of eligible host-institutions
- Universities and inter-university research institutes
- MEXT-affiliated institutions engaged in research
- Colleges of technology
- Institutions designated by the Minister of MEXT
PF Standard (PF01) – 12 to 24 months. Awards- round-trip air ticket, ¥362,000 per month maintenance allowance, ¥200,000 settling-in allowance along with overseas travel insurance plus up to ¥1,500,000 per year to cover cooperative research-related expenses.
PF Short-term (PF02) – 1 to 12 months. Awards round-trip air ticket, maintenance allowance of ¥362,000 per month (for PhD holders) and ¥200,000 per month (for non-PhD holders), settling-in allowance of ¥200,000 for fellows with 4 or more months of tenure, overseas travel insurance plus a research support allowance.
PF Pathway (PF03) – 12 to 24 months. Awards- round-trip air ticket, maintenance allowance of ¥387,600 per month, settling-in allowance of ¥200,000, overseas travel insurance plus up to ¥1,500,000 per year to cover cooperative research-related expenses.
Key Dates: The applications for all the candidates who have submitted them the applications -Form 2 filled by the candidate along with two recommendation letters, Form 1 to be filled by the host institution before submitting to JSPS – should be submitted by the host institution.
- 1-5 September 2014 – PF01 application submission deadline
- 6-10 October 2014 – PF02 application submission deadline
- 1-5 September 2014 – PF03 application submission deadline
- For Standard Postdoctoral Fellowship, applicant must be a citizen of Taiwan or Palestine (a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan) and must hold a a doctorate degree when the Fellowship goes into effect. Doctorate received before 2 April 2009 will not be considered. Past fellows for standard or pathways are not eligible to apply.
- For Short-term Postdoctoral Fellowship, applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of North America, Canada or Europe and must have obtained their doctoral degree at a university outside Japan within six years of the date the fellowship goes into effect (on or after 2 April 2009). Past fellows for standard, short-term or pathway are not eligible to apply. Also the foreign researchers doing research at a Japanese research institution at the time of application are not eligible.
- Candidates from Taiwan or Palestine with master’s or higher degree continuously thereafter been engaged in research for a period of at least three years at a university or research institution in an eligible country can also apply for the Short-term Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- For Pathway Postdoctoral Fellowships, applicant must be the citizen of Taiwan or Palestine and hold a doctorate degree when the Fellowship goes into effect (on or after 2 April 2005). The applicant must hold a position as an associate professor or equivalent as of 1 April 2015. S/he must be willing to continue engaging in research and education at the host institution in a full-time employment capacity. Past Pathway fellows are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply?
- Foreign candidates are required to fill out FORM 2 in either English or Japanese. The form should be printed out on both sides of each sheet of paper, for a total of three sheets (six pages front and back).
- Candidates should prepare one letter of recommendation from their PhD dissertation advisor or other supervisory faculty member and attach it to their FORM 2.
- The host researcher should fill out FORM 1 and submit it together with the candidate’s FORM 2 and the attached letter of recommendation to her/his institution’s administration office.
For more information, please visit JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Overseas Researchers and read all the relevant documents.