Deadline: 31 March 2014
The World Pulse Community invites powerful grassroots women leaders generating vital changes on their ground to join the Digital Action Campaign – Women Weave the Web (WWW). The campaign is open to people around the globe that are at least 18 years of age. The outstanding grassroots woman and visionary voice using digital tools to effect change and advance her community work will be awarded Lynn Syms Prize.
The Prize –
- Lynn Syms Prize worth $20,000 paid out over a period of two years to support the community based work the winner conducts.
- The winner will be invited (all expense paid trip) to participate in the Award Ceremony to be held in the New York City.
- Her profile will be featured on WorldPulse website.
The Campaign has three phases –
- Phase 1 – Digital Access
- Phase 2 – Digital Literacy
- Phase 3 – Digital Empowerment
To participate in the phase I, story must be submitted on the main issue stated as a question – What will it take for all women across the globe to benefit from everything the Internet has to offer?
The barriers holding women back online vary. The women around the globe are encouraged to write their own story on what keeps them from participating fully online. The stories may cover issues (but not limited to) –
- What challenges keep you or women in your community from logging on and participating fully online?
- How can your local library make it easier for women to use the Internet?
- What solutions are you creating to make the Internet more accessible to women in your community?
- What do you do to feel safe in accessing the Internet? What recommendations do you have for technology companies and governments to make you feel safer online?
Eligibility Criteria –
- Entrant can be from anywhere in the world, at least 18 years of age or older.
- Entrants must submit written journal entries to all three phases of the campaign to be eligible for the prize.
- Entrant must have an established organization, program or project, though in the early stage of development.
- The entrant woman leader must have courage, commitment, integrity and the ability to communicate effectively for her cause.
- Entrant must be successfully using digital tools to advance her work and must participate/join the campaign.
The participants can –
- Write story of herself or women around them on the issue.
- Map the women friendly internet at any cyber-cafe, library, tele-center or some other public space.
- Upload picture that speaks on the topic of women’s online access and inclusion.
- Weave connections with the grassroots women leaders around the world by reading community submissions, comments and also giving own opinions and suggestions.
- Participants can also join the Beyond Access Community which makes it easy for them to provide digital access to the people in their community.
Beyond Access is a global movement of people and organizations committed to the idea that modern public libraries help drive economic and social development. It supports libraries working to address local development challenges by providing tools such as Internet access. Beyond Access Community Members can apply for the Outreach Fund.
Join the Campaign and Submit Story.
For more information, please visit WWW Prizes and Opportunities.