Deadline: 31 January 2016
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is accepting applications for its Astraea’s International Fund to support groups led by LGBTQI communities working for progressive social change, addressing oppression based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity and expression, and advancing work for racial, economic and gender justice.
The fund strengthens LGBTQI groups by providing flexible general support grants ranging from $5,000 to $30,000 per year.
The fund prioritizes funding to groups that:
- Led by and targeted to lesbian/bisexual/queer women
- Led by and targeted to transgender and/or intersex people
- Led by and for LGBTQI communities that are historically marginalized and underresourced within LGBTQI communities (e.g. youth, elders, ethnic minorities, migrants/refugees, low-income people, people with disabilities, sex workers, etc.).
- Have active participation and leadership from the communities most affected by issues that the group works on.
- Are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the geographic region in which they do their work.
- Show an understanding of the connections amongst different oppressions facing LGBTQI people, and have a commitment to address other forms of oppression such as oppression based on class, race, ethnicity, age, physical and mental ability, gender, national identity, and religious affiliation.
- Develop leadership and build communities’ capacity to achieve social change, particularly through proposals that strengthen an organization’s ability to organize.
- Organizing may be defined as activities that actively engage people affected by societal problems in the process of identifying and pursuing solutions.
- Works in alliance and/or builds coalition with other justice movement organizations (e.g. sex worker rights, human rights, etc.)
- Have organizational structures and practices in place that reflect social justice principles
- Groups that are based in countries/locations that do not yet have significant LGBTQI resources
- Have limited access to traditional sources of funding
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Based in Africa, Asia/the Pacific, Eastern Europe/Commonwealth of Independent States, Latin America/the Caribbean, or the Middle East.
- Led by and/or for LGBTQI communities. Non-LGBTI-led groups must demonstrate how they address LGBTI human rights issues and how they involve LGBTI’s in organizational and programmatic decision-making.
- Doing work towards long-term social change, on issues affecting LGBTQI people and/or people who are penalized, persecuted or harassed for their gender identity, gender expression, and/or sexual orientation.
- Non-governmental organizations, not-for-profit groups, or the equivalent, with organizational budgets of $500,000USD or less.
- Groups that have been active for at least one year at the time should send in their proposal. A group which has been active for less than one year may apply if they demonstrate their group’s ability to sustain activities over the long-term and illustrate how a grant would help them to build their organization’s capabilities.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can download and submit an LOI via given website.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
For more information, please visit Astraea Lesbian Foundation.