Deadline: 20 January 2016
Embassy of France in the United States is currently inviting applications for its Chateaubriand Fellowship Program in two categories (listed below). It allows doctoral students enrolled in American universities to conduct research in France for 4 to 9 months.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
Chateaubriand Fellowship program is divided in two sections:
Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics & Health (STEM)
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Chateaubriand Fellowship in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics & Health for doctoral students aims to initiate or reinforce collaborations, partnerships or joint projects between French and American research teams. The Chateaubriand Fellowship supports PhD students registered in an American university who wish to conduct part of their doctoral research in a French laboratory.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
STEM Chateaubriand fellows receive:
- Monthly allowance (up to 1400 euros/month, depending on other sources of funding).
- Round trip ticket to France.
- Support for health insurance abroad.
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- You must be currently working on your PhD.
- You must be a registered in an American university (U.S. citizenship is not required).
- All STEM and Health research topics are eligible.
- Research should be performed in a French laboratory (university, engineering school, public research laboratory…).
- Your U.S. and French advisors must agree to co-supervise part of your thesis.
- Knowledge of French is not mandatory and is left to the discretion of the host institution.
- Co-sponsorship by a candidate’s American university or French host institution is encouraged.
Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS)
HSS Chateaubriand is a fellowship program offered by the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the US. It targets outstanding Ph.D. students from American universities who seek to engage in research in France, in any discipline of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
HSS Chateaubriand fellows receive:
(Ad) Lots of grant opportunities but no idea how to write a proposal to apply for them? We have a huge collection of sample proposals available only for Premium Members. You can view these proposals and even request for download. Get ideas from other successful grantees and write your proposal quickly. Learn more.
- A monthly stipend of 1500 €.
- Health insurance for the entire duration of the fellowship.
- A round-trip ticket to France with welcome package.
- Candidates must be currently working on their Ph.D.
- Candidates do not have to be U.S. citizens, but they must be enrolled in an American university. However, French citizens are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates must obtain a letter of recommendation from their advisor(s) in the U.S., as well as a letter of invitation from a professor affiliated with a French university or research institution. Please be in touch with your supervisor in France as early as possible. The history of the research relationship will be taken into account in the review process.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online through the website.
For more information, please visit Fellowship program.