Deadline: 11 October 2015
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Specialist in Social Protection based in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
The Specialist in Social Protection will be responsible for providing policy advice and technical assistance specifically to ILO’s constituents, in the countries covered by DWT-Yaoundé, on social protection to influence national policies aiming at ensuring that more people have access to better manage and more gender equitable social security benefits.
ILO is devoted to promoting social justice and internationally recognized human and labour rights, pursuing its founding mission that labour peace is essential to prosperity.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Specialist in Social Protection will perform the following functions-
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of a sub regional strategy on social protection including on the extension of social protection through national social protection floors which is aligned with the regional and the West Africa regional approach. Work with other social security specialists for the development of a regional strategy is essential relates to the regional planning and the HQ’s coordination team for Africa.
- Develop and implement joint partnerships and programmes with the regional organizations such as UEMOA, CIPRESS and other sub regional groups, other UN agencies, development partners, particularly in relation to the promotion and implementation of national social protection floors
- Promote and apply ILO tools and inter-agency social protection assessment tools (ISPA) as part of the SPIAC-B, co-chaired by ILO and World Bank and encompassing all development partners
- Provide advice and promote the ILO’s social security standards among key stakeholders and provide technical support to those countries wishing to ratify ILO social security Conventions.
- Contribute to coordinating and securing the country inputs to the ILO Social Security Inquiry and the global database on social protection.
- Develop and maintain a network and platform of exchange with social protection practitioners in the sub-region in close collaboration with the other Africa regional social protection specialists and HQ social protection platform.
- Provide technical support and advice to directors of countries offices and DWT specialists on the integration of social protection issues into their respective work programmes to respond to the defined needs of constituents as expressed in the DWCPs on the development of ILO’s knowledge base on social protection in the region, and advocacy and promotion of social protection floors.
- Coordinate and advise the implementation of social health protection extension strategies towards universal coverage and emphasize the revised role of community based and micro-insurance schemes already in place towards their reform and possible integration on the affiliation and delivery to support national universal health care strategies.
- Build and maintain close liaisons with governments, workers’ and employers’ organizations, UN organizations, research institutions and non-governmental organizations involved in the field of social protection. Develop a roster of social protection experts/consultants.
- Represent the ILO at international, regional and national meetings.
- Carry out other relevant tasks as may be assigned.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree in economics, social sciences, actuarial studies, legal or other relevant field, with demonstrated expertise on social protection issues.
- Eight years of professional experience in insurance, employee benefits or social protection issues at the national level or five years at the international level.
- Experience in designing, supporting the implementation of and assessing social protection programmes is a key asset.
- Experience in the design and/or management of development programmes or projects is an advantage, as is relevant experience in a field duty station. Experience working with tripartism and ILO constituents would be an asset.
- Excellent command of French and good knowledge of English.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted through online process.
For more information, please visit ILO.