Deadline: 24 Jan 2013
Starting Date: 1 April 2013
UNDP has invited applications from qualified and deserving candidates for the job/vacancy of International Consultant for costing Sierra Leone’s third generation Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper(PRSPIII). This job will be based in Freetown,Sierra Leone. Kindly note that the duration of this assignment is about 40 working days.
Early this year, a Sierra Leone Conference on Development and Transformation was organised to review Sierra Leone’s past socio-economic development experiences and chart a way forward over the next 25 to 50 years. Through wide consultations among the Sierra Leonean people and with development partners, within the context of the Conference, a long term national Vision of the country was agreed upon. The Vision is that Sierra Leone will be a Middle-Income Country within the next 25 years and a net lender within 50 years. This long term Vision is to be realised by implementing transformative development strategies and policies formulated within the context of medium term development plans.
As the implementation of the Agenda for Change 2008-2012, which is the Country’s second generation Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP II), draws to an end, the Government of Sierra Leone has initiated the process of preparation of the Agenda for Prosperity 2013-2017, which is Sierra Leone’s Third Generation Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP III). This process, which begun in the fourth quarter of 2011 with Government circulating a draft outline of the structure of the proposed PRSP III, is expected to culminate in the launch of the PRSP III by end of first quarter of 2013.
The necessary consultations are ongoing and draft chapters of the eight core pillars of the PRSP III are being reviewed with a view to ensuring consistency of proposed development strategies and policies across pillars. It is expected that the draft chapters will provide proposed flagship projects and indicative implementation costs.
It cannot be overemphasised that good development strategies and policies are meaningful when successfully implemented. However, for successful implementation of development strategies, adequate financing is vital. It is in view of this then that the Government of Sierra Leone, in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is seeking the services of two individual consultants (one international and the other national) in costing the PRSP III.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Masters degree in Social Sciences, preferably in Economics, Business Management/Administration or similar fields.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience especially in the area of national development planning or programme design and project management;
- At least 2 previous completed assignments in costing national development strategy action plans or related assignments;
- Excellent writing, analytical and advocacy skills, experience in working in a multi-stakeholder, international environments;
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with developed attention to detail;
- Regional experience on national development planning initiatives including formulation of medium term action plans and costing will be a definite advantage.
- Fluency in English language, written and spoken.
For more information please visit this link.