Honjo International Scholarship Foundation (HISF) is currently seeking scholarship applications from foreign students who are planning to attend a graduate school at a Japanese university after April 1, 2012. A total of 15 to 20 scholarships are available for the courses commencing 2012.
HISF provides scholarships to bright students who are struggling to study under different conditions in developing nations as well as to those Japanese students studying abroad, to help them learn advanced technologies and improve their good intentions will serve as a bridge connecting Japan with the rest of the world in culture and mutual friendships.
- The student is registered to attend a graduate school in Japan and does not possess Japanese citizenship. His or her academic achievement as well as moral character is exemplary. He or she must be considered to be in need of financial aid due to extenuating financial circumstances.
- The student must be registered to attend or have been accepted to attend a graduate school after April 1, 2012. He or she must be able to provide any of the following documentation: a certificate of enrollment, letter of admission or a letter attesting to the fact that the student has been accepted.
- To be eligible, students enrolled in a PhD Program must have been born after March 31, 1976. Those enrolled in a Master’s Program must have been born after March 31, 1981.
- The student must be able to assure the committee that he or she will be able to secure employment in his or her home country after graduating from a graduate school.
- The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and be committed to make his or her contribution.
- The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese.
Amount and Duration of Scholarships
- ¥200,000 ($2600) per month for 1 or 2 years
- ¥180,000 ($2340) per month for 3 years
- ¥150,000 (1950$) per month for 4 or 5 years
Travel expenses for conferences, other expenses will be covered as per the scholarship rules
The applications must be postmarked on/by November 30, 2011
For more information, visit this link.