The Heinrich Böll Foundation invites applications leading to grant of scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and PhD students of all subjects and nationalities, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen”). The scholarships are offered to students and scholars from Germany, EU, Central and Eastern Europe, CIS, Middle East, and conflict regions around the globe. The scholarship recipients are expected to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation awards scholarships to German and foreign students in keeping with the guidelines provided by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the Federal Foreign Office (AA). The scholarship will be awarded for the regular period of study.
A) Requirements for German citizens, EU citizens and students who have gained their university entrance qualifications from a German school (funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research):
The maintenance scholarships which are awarded to German citizens, EU citizens and students who have gained their university entrance qualifications from a German school will be calculated on the same basis as BAföG, depending on your parent’s income and/or your own income and personal assets. Irrespective of this, an independent book grant of 150 € per month will be awarded to all successful applicants.
You are entitled to receiving a scholarship if you are enrolled at a state or state-recognized institution of higher education (university, college or equivalent) in Germany, Switzerland or in a member state of the EU.
B) Requirements for students from outside the EU (funded by the Federal Foreign Office):
The maintenance scholarships which are awarded to international students are based on a fixed sum and paid independently of your parent’s income You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time of application for the scholarship.
– You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme only supports students aiming for a Masters degree in Germany.
– At the time of applying for a scholarship you should provide proof of a place at a German university.
– You need a good knowledge of German, and we kindly ask you to provide proof of your proficiency. Your application should be written in German. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be held in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible3.
– The current guidelines specify that, generally, we cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
– Tuition fees for fee-paying courses in Germany cannot be financed by the Heinrich Boll Foundation.
Last date for receiving the application is September 1, 2011
For further information and details, please visit the link.