Europe has been central to providing funding grants for promotion and protection of human rights around the world. The European Commission’s European Intrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR) is a major donor programme that engages with civil society organizations outside of the European Union to protect human rights, justice, the rule of law and the promotion of democracy by providing regular funding support.
But apart from the EIDHR, there are a number of small and medium-sized grant-making foundations in Europe that provide human rights grants to NGOs around the world. We have identified ten such donor agencies here.
- Alert Fund for Youth: Supporting Human Rights and Global Justice
- Abilis Foundation: Equal Opportunities for the Disabled
- Anne Frank Foundation for better understanding and peace
- Austrian Development Cooperation Funding for Civil Society
- Danish Institute for Human Rights
- Danish Peace Foundation for Disarmament and Peace
- KIOS – The Finnish NGO Foundation for Human Rights
- Women’s World Summit Foundation (WWSF)
- Hivos: Rights and Citizenship
- Mama Cash supporting Human Rights Movements