Deadline: 29 April 2016
Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the National Research Foundation (NRF) has announced DST-NRF Professional Development Programme (PDP) block grant Call for 2016 in order to support the professional development of the next generation and emerging researchers.
- To leverage innovation and research at public Research Institutions, Science Councils and National Facilities in South Africa, through the implementation of science and technology related skills development.
- To enable recently qualified Doctoral graduates and those currently engaged in Doctoral studies to gain further research experience in a Research Institution, Science Council or National Facility thereby strengthening their Curriculum Vitae and consequently improving their prospects of permanent employment in the science and technology system.
- To attract and retain young scientists and professionals of the highest caliber in order to complement senior researchers’ influence on the current science and technology research system.
- To support young scientists and professionals in basic and applied research, and to promote innovation.
- Space Science and Technology;
- Human and Social Dynamics
- Farmer to Pharma
- Climate Change
- For the Doctoral Supervisors and Postdoctoral Mentors
- Applicants must be listed as a supervisor within the block grant application
- Applicants should ideally hold an honorary or part/time academic position at a South African public university for the full duration of the awarded grant
- Applicants must hold a doctoral degree and have postgraduate supervision experience to host and supervise postgraduate students
- Applicants must hold a full-time permanent position as a researcher at the host institution, or a contract position as a researcher for the full duration of the Block Grant
- For PDP Doctoral Students and Postdoctoral Fellows
- Only bona-fide South African citizens or permanent residents may receive a PDP Doctoral Scholarship or Postdoctoral Fellowship;
- To be awarded a PDP Doctoral Scholarship the individual must have obtained his/her Master’s degree no more than five (5) years before commencement of Doctoral studies. In the case of female candidates that are returning to postgraduate studies after a period of absence from research due to family responsibilities, this criterion may be waivered.
- To be appointed as a PDP Postdoctoral Fellow, the individual must have obtained his/her Doctoral degree no more than five (5) years before commencement of the PDP Postdoctoral Fellowship. In the case of female candidates that are returning after a period of absence from research due to family responsibilities, this criterion may be waivered.
- Permanent employees of public Research Institutions, Science Councils or National Facilities may not hold a PDP scholarship or fellowship.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted electronically at the NRF Online System via given website.
For more information, please visit DST-NRF PDF.