Deadline: 3 April 2015
National Endowment for Democracy (NED) has started accepting proposals from NGOs around the world who are working to advance democratic goals and strengthen democratic institutions.
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a private, nonprofit foundation founded in 1983, provides more than 1000 grants per year to NGOs promoting democracy in more than 90 countries. Funding decisions are made on a quarterly basis by the NED Board of Directors.
Grant amounts vary depending on the size and scope of the projects, but the average grant lasts 12 months and is around $50,000.
Areas of Interest
- Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law
- Support freedom of information and independent media
- Strengthen democratic ideas and values
- Promote accountability and transparency
- Strengthen civil society organizations
- Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions
- Promote civic education
- Support democratic conflict resolution
- Promote freedom of association
- Strengthen a broad-based market economy
- NED funds only nongovernmental organizations, which may include civic organizations, associations, independent media, and other similar organizations.
- NED encourages applications from organizations working in diverse environments including newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transitions.
- Activist organizations in transitional authoritarian countries working to promote democracy, liberalization and the protection of human rights can also seek financial support from NED through its grants program.
- NED does not make grants to individuals, governmental bodies, or state-supported institutions such as public universities.
Application must be send either via email or post. To apply online, applicant must first create an account on NED website. The documents needed to be submitted are-
- Proposal cover sheet
- Proposal Narrative
- Interim Assessment (for renewal proposals only)
- Proposal Budget
- Registration Documents of the Organization
More information about this Foundation is available in the PDF version. If you are a FundsforNGOs Premium Member, you can instantly download this PDF version. Not a Premium Member? Click here to Sign up! Not interested? Continue reading…